Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Parable about the BGCT

Some years, the BGCT Annual Meeting is the only time Shauna (my wife) and I have an overnight date, out of town, without children. It is something we look forward to, even when the location is beautiful, downtown Amarillo.

We flew from Houston to Amarillo on Sunday afternoon. Our return flight was Tuesday afternoon.

As we were boarding the Continental Express Jet at 4:25 Tuesday afternoon, we stood in line with a small group of young adults approximately 25 years old and younger. The young woman in front of us in line was separated from the rest of her group. She seemed excited about flying to Houston and told us that she was traveling with a group to attend a conference in Houston. I asked her what type of conference they were attending. She said it was a “new hire” conference for a major petroleum company. I asked her, “Is this your first real job?” She excitedly answered, “Yes, it is.”

To continue the conversation, I asked her where she lived. When she told me she was living and working in Amarillo, I told her that we were actually leaving a conference which had met in Amarillo. She asked, “What kind of conference would meet in Amarillo?” The man behind us in line joked, “It must have been a conference on wind!” I answered, “It was the Annual Meeting of the Baptist General Convention of Texas.”

Hilarity ensued…

Let those who have ears, hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a keeper. :-)

I think, prior to the BGCT meeting, I had only passed through Amarillo maybe three or four times before. I was pleasantly surprised by the facility, the city itself, and the welcome mat that was most definitely out for the BGCT. I guess there aren't a lot of conferences that meet in Amarillo. The wind is definitely part of the package.

I enjoyed meeting you at the convention, if only briefly. Your blog is now linked on mine, and I am looking forward to reading more from you.

JBo said...

Man, I love Continental Express jets. They have excellent snacks. If you get the exit row seat on the left side of the plane, you are in the lap of luxury.

Tim Dahl said...

Andy,

I wish I knew the particulars that made up the hilarity. I would like a chance to laugh, myself.

I'm feeling sad. I met a guy with Gospel for Asia today. I thought about how easy it would be for even a small church like mine to cut its strings to denominational life, and follow God's Matt.28 call through other avenues.

Also, my E2 wouldn't work this morning. I'm sure that has something to do with the funk I'm in.

Be Well,

Tim Dahl